Archives of Reception of the Bible

Past blogging in more ways than one.

Saturday, February 23, 2008

When is a March 1st deadline really a February 29th deadline?

The answer...

When it is the closing date for submission of paper abstracts to the SBL Annual Meeting!

I noted the strangeness of this last year and sure enough Chris Brady has received an SBL e-mail containing the following (I didn't get one so I am not sure what that says about the difference between me and Chris):

"Don’t forget, the Call for Papers
http://www.sbl-site.org/meetings/Congresses_
CallForPapers.aspx?MeetingId=12 closes at midnight, Eastern US time, on Friday, February 29."

I guess this has been happening for so long that no-one submits their paper on the 1st March. But I'd love to know what happens to anyone who does. Do they ever argue about this ridiculous practice?

For the record, there seems to be new sessions that were not in the original call for papers, so you might want to take a look.

http://www.sbl-site.org/meetings/Congresses_
CallForPapers.aspx?MeetingId=12




2 Comments:

At 1:31 pm, Blogger Targuman said...

John, you are correct, I too would assume a deadline of X date would mean midnight on that date (in some stated time zone). But there you go...

BTW, I am chair of the Aramaic Session which is why I receive these emails (although I would have though this would have gone out to all members).

 
At 8:10 am, Blogger John Lyons said...

Chris,

I did get one of these e-mails a year ago and the instruction to look at new sessions does seem peculiar if addressed only to session chairs. But, as you say, there you go...

I hope your session is well supported and goes well in Boston. I am trying to go, but I think I'll wait for acceptance of a paper before announcing details of the abstract(s) I've put in :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home