Archives of Reception of the Bible

Past blogging in more ways than one.

Monday, March 24, 2008

Another world!

Once again Jim West appears to demonstrate conclusively that he lives in a very different world to me. In my world, it is simply not possible to delete one's opponents (though I'll grant that some academics do give a very different impression of their powers!). As Chris Heard himself points out, in reality Jim's powers are really rather limited. Jim, do us all a favour. Keep up the tirades. And when folks respond and disagree with you, don't sulk. Dish up some more!

2 Comments:

At 11:14 pm, Blogger Chris Weimer said...

I don't know the reasons for Chris Heard's removal, and frankly, I don't care. Their spat is between them. But it isn't fair to question the authority of list/forum administration. It is, after all, his list. He made it. He can allow whatever members he wants to. I delete all sorts of spammers and crackpots from my lists/forums. I also ban preaching of any kind, of all philosophies, Christian, atheist, or voodoo.

Since Jim West created his list, made the rules, and defined the boundaries, who is anyone to question him there? If you don't like, don't go there. It's not an academic journal, it's not an academic society. It's a list.

Chris Weimer

 
At 11:45 pm, Blogger John Lyons said...

Hi Chris,

I am not quite sure why you talk of the unfairness of questioning the 'authority of list/forum administration' here. I was not aware that this was Jim's personal fiefdom, and in fairness to me, there are other 'academic' names on the list as co-moderators so why should I even assume that to be the case. I see no problem in treating the list as something that wants to be thought of as an academic forum and then faulting it for failing to be just that (in my terms). But you now say that it is not academic but only a 'list' as if that somehow dealt with all of the relevant issues. I don't get it. What is the problem with being an 'academic' list that takes on all-comers? For sure, a religious nut would probably wear any of us down, but is Chris Heard really in that category? If Jim really thinks so, he needs to get out more :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home